We all need our morning cup of coffee to get the day started, or maybe a soda to give a little extra energy throughout the day. Unfortunately, everyone’s favorite pick-me-ups can cause discoloration to the teeth. Here are five ways to help prevent teeth staining:
- Drink coffee/soda through a straw: This method can prevent staining on the front teeth, but be careful when drinking a hot coffee through a straw as you can easily be burned! This technique is perfect when drinking soda or a cold brew coffee.
- Drink water along with your coffee: Drinking water with your coffee will not only help you get an extra glass of hydration in your diet, but it will also rinse off your teeth. This can prevent the coffee from sitting on your teeth and eventually, staining them.
- Brushing your teeth: The American Dental Association suggests that brushing your teeth after drinking soda or coffee is the best way to ensure minimal staining. If you can’t brush right after your coffee or soda, rinsing your mouth quickly with water also helps prevent staining and can even help with bad breath! Making sure to floss daily and rinse with mouthwash also helps to keep your teeth healthy and white.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned: At Klooster Family Dentistry, we perform professional cleaning that removes plaque, tartar, and even stains. We buff and polish the teeth, and the process only takes about 20 to 30 minutes!
- Skip the cream and sugar: Many people believe that adding cream and sugar prevents stains because the coffee is lighter, but that isn’t the case! Any kind of coffee may stain your teeth, and adding tons of cream and sugar just allows for more plaque build up. Try and give your teeth a break and pass on the sugary additives.
In many cases, our team can help you get rid of some teeth stains. Schedule an appointment at Klooster Family Dentistry today to learn more.