5 Fun Ways to Teach Kids Healthy Teeth Habits
Children often dislike brushing their teeth, but learning good dental hygiene habits early on in life will save a lot of time, trouble, and money later. If your kids start to see brushing their teeth as a time they look forward to, it will put them on the right path to taking care of their teeth. Parents struggling to get their children to brush must turn to creative ideas to make brushing fun.
Try these five ways to help your child get started on good habits early:
- Use a bathroom chart. Put a chart on your child’s bathroom wall; when they brush their teeth, let them put a star on the chart. When they get a certain number of stars in a row, reward them. (We suggest a week.) This will help children look forward to brushing and flossing their teeth!
- Buy flavored toothpaste or fun toothbrushes. Find toothpaste in a flavor your child likes more than the typical mint flavors. Letting your child choose a toothbrush with their favorite character on it or one that plays their favorite song gives them more control over the process, which means he or she is more likely to take an interest. Plus, a toothbrush song can make brushing time fun.
- Create a routine early. Make brushing part of a child’s morning and night routine so they know when they will be expected to brush and floss.
- Set an example. Brush and floss your teeth in front of your child daily. Demonstrate to them that brushing time can be fun by showing your child you’re enjoying taking care of your teeth. Because children often look up to older siblings, it may also be helpful to allow your child to watch an older sibling brush or floss their teeth.
- Use a Brush Time App. Aquafresh created an app that plays catchy songs and dances for the two minutes your child should spend brushing. The app also includes games and tips on brushing. They can choose their favorite character and scenery to accompany them in brushing their teeth. If you don’t want to try an app, you can try playing music for two minutes during brush time.
At Klooster Family Dentistry, we cater to young children and want them to enjoy their visits to the dentist. We have a special play area packed with games and books and a treasure chest that they can choose a toy from after every visit. Request an appointment online today!